An internship program will be able to provide many great benefits to both your organization and the University. Below are some of the results of a solid consistent internship program:
- Recruiting benefits– The ability to “test drive” the talent and find that next star employee. In this tight labor market, each department will be able to find great potential future hires. NACE (National Association of Colleges and Employers) found that 83.6% of interns accepted an offer from their internship site. In addition, these students are developed in your organization’s culture and values.
- Community footprint– Hiring interns enhances the local workforce and prepares these students to become community leaders of the future. These students will be able to learn what makes Southern Utah great and will feel a desire to stay in the local economy
- Helps close skills gap– Students are able to learn both technical knowledge and professionalism in a real-world scenario. This hard and soft skill knowledge prepares them to be better employees in the future. They can’t learn this from a textbook.
- Benefits your current employees– Employees are able to act as mentors and supervisors, which will provide leadership training. This is often less intimidating than mentoring or supervising established employees. New managers will be able to leadership skills that benefit them and the organization for future opportunities. Interns are excited for feedback and make this an easy process.
- Increase productivity- NACE (National Association of Colleges and Employers) reports that 92% of interns’ work focused on higher-level workloads, overrunning for coffee. This frees up current employees to tackle high expertise challenges and minimized menial tasks. Interns love to learn the processes and our basic work is their brand-new concept. In addition, they also bring knowledge of new technologies that can save the bank and department time and money.
- New excitement– Interns’ excitement and energy are infectious. Even the most menial task to an employee can seem like the greatest opportunity for a motivated intern. These interns want to learn and prove their value to receive future opportunities. This rubs off on employees and increases excitement in the organization